Summer 2013 Professional Development Course Offerings
Celebrate the return of warm weather with professional development courses for local educators at times convenient for working teachers ... and close to home!
- EDUC 490: Special Topics (Autism) (2 SH) Meets the following Tuesday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00 PM (7/9, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30, 8/6, 8/13, 8/20 and 8/27) This course offers an overview of autism spectrum disorders, including history, statistics and interventions. Explore evidence-based techniques for supporting students with ASD in the general education setting, including educational strategies, universal supports and positive behavioral interventions. Participants will d evelop resources to educate others about ASD, read personal accounts of autism, research treatment approaches and develop a variety of individualized supports. Click here to learn more about how to earn 60 SCECHs for this course.
- EDUC 313: Teaching Writing (3 SH) Meets Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 9:00 to 11:30 PM. This course will develop ways to integrate writing across subject areas, examine methodologies in the classroom, and construct materials for teaching writing.
- EDUC 467: Succeeding with Students who have Challenging Behaviors (3 SH) Meets five Mondays from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (7/8, 7/15, 7/22, 7/29 and 8/5) This course will focus on practical strategies for interacting with students displaying challenging behaviors. The identification of and causes for challenging behaviors will be discussed, with the emphasis placed on maintaining and building positive student-teacher and student-student relationships. Appropriate data collection methods will be stressed as a key component in changing behavior. Specific topics to be covered include: motivators, prevention techniques, reinforcement, reductive methods, behavioral contracting, self-monitoring, classroomwide systems, and individual strategies to improve behavior and social interactions.
- HOW TO REGISTER FOR TRADITIONAL CREDIT COURSES:
- Complete Application for Admission to Miller College and select "Continuing Education Classes" on the application. You may complete the application in person at Miller College or click here to apply online.
- Submit a copy of your valid professional teaching certificate.
- Register for classes once you have been admitted to Miller College. Registration for both summer sessions is now open! You may register in person at the Miller College Student Services Office, Room 206. Visit the Miller College home page and click on "Search for Classes" to learn about other exciting courses we're offering this summer.
- Make your payment to complete the registration process. Cash, check or credit card payments are accepted. The cost is $370.00 per semester hour; the total cost for a three semester hour course is $1100.00.
- For more information on enrolling in traditional credit courses for your professional development, contact the Miller College Student Services Office at (269) 660-8021.